Sunday, May 20, 2012

Primi Piatti

Day nine of our Italy trip and I can't believe I'm going to say this...I might be getting sick of pasta. We've had fettuccine, spaghetti, tagliatelle, calamarata, gnocchi, fusilli, and more. With tomato sauce, with truffles, with pesto, with fish, and more. With cheese, though not always.

At one restaurant in Ravello, Mr. Oil asked for Parmesan to put in his fish of fish and pasta. The waiter looked at his plate and replied, "You have fish. No cheese." With that, he walked away.

If I do get tired of pasta, there is always my old friend pizza. Though it will be hard for any pizza to live up to the amazingness we devoured at Di Matteo in Naples. I'm really full right now (from pasta) and the thought of that pizza still makes me salivate.

France, in case you were worried, which I know you're not, has vastly superior desserts to Italy. It's not even worth eating dessert here unless it is gelato. I'm not sure I can bring myself to reveal just how much gelato we've eaten...though we are at the point where today we threw out gelato after two bites because it just wasn't good enough.

I have some great stories to share about this trip when we get back to Paris and I'm not typing on a phone with sporadic wifi in Bevagna, Umbria. For now, let me just say that 1) this is one of the most relaxing vacations of my life despite Baby Oil's refusal to sleep past 5:30 and 2) any of you who listened to me say that we were going to spend a week driving in the Amalfi Coast, and you have ever been there yourself, why did you not tell us that "adrenaline junkie death wish" is a more apt term than "driving"?!

Fortunately we are now safely ensconced in Umbria and I no longer have to mentally prepare myself to get in the car. Ciao!